Slower Connections If using a slower connection please allow images time to load fully.
Click on images to view larger size if available.

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Town Hall, Lonsdale Street, Dandenong. Possibly 1980s

From a more Recent time (likely the 1980's), comes this image of the Town Hall. In the foreground the war memorial still stands alone in the center before being relocated to opposite the end of Cleeland street. Whilst in the background can be seen the red sign of McEwans. Sadly no date was provided with the picture.

For more images like this visit us at

Friday, April 8, 2016

Corner of Walker and Lonsdale streets, Dandenong, Undated.

This view provides and exciting glimpse into Walker street before the construction of Dandenong Plaza, causing Walker street to now end at the corner of McCrae street. At the time this picture was taken McCrae street still ran through to near the Market, as the Palm Plaza section had not been closed to traffic yet.
The yellow traffic lights which graced this intersection for many years had not yet been installed. The pine trees were still new. along with a white glow to the newly erected Post Office along side the town hall. Waltons was still in the future Venture, then Dimmeys building and Woolworths still had its large store on McCrae street near the Market.
At this time the old field/oval used for the Dandenong Show, next to the market, had not yet been lost. With Maples up Lonsdale street, the collection of forgotten shops was still intact. Progress meant the end for some, and others wee taken over by more prosperous shops. This picture would have been taken from the former AMP building.
Photo supplied by: Brad Farrell
For more images like this visit us at

Jack Jennings Garage and Service Station, Keysborough, article 1962.

Jack Jennings Garage and Service Station, Keysborough, Originally Chandler Road, Keysborough in 1947, later years on Cheltenham Road, Keysborough. Article from 1962.
Jack arrived in Keysborough in 1947 with his tools and mechanical knowledge, pretty soon he had set up business in the building in the top picture. His mechanical skill were quickly recognized among the farmers of the area and his business grew quickly.
As his business expanded so did his premises. As well as the workshops, he built with his own two hands, a two-bay standard type outlet to market Caltex products, (see bottom picture in article). Jack worked very hard building his business up to six mechanics and two lubrication hands, attributing his success to his own hard work and the assistance given to him by Caltex staff.
Kindly shared to the page by Penny Harris Jennings.

For more images like this visit us at

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Lonsdale Street, Dandenong, undated

In this photo can be seen Titchers chemist barely in left), ES and A bank, Steve de Georges, Australasia Bank, Albion Hotel and a number of long forgotten places people shopped,

For more images like this visit us at

131 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong, 1973 and 2013.

131 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong - 1973 and 2013, 
40 years and still going strong. Some buildings remain the same.

For more images like this visit us at

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Douglas Street, Noble Park, undated

Roads and footpaths were same level often causing flooding.

For more images like this visit us at

Noble Park Public Hall, during construction, 1925.

In 1913 Alan (Frank) Buckley and Charles Luxford were the registered proprietors of the land on which the Noble Park Public Hall now stands. Local residents set about raising some money and a small timber hall was erected. A trust, comprising Messrs Luxford, Maroney and Bunn, was set up, decreeing that the area should be used as a public hall.

In 1919 after Luxfords' death the two remaining trustees transferred the old hall and grounds to five trustees, Messrs Isaac, Beatty, Smith, Simpson and Luxford. Registered under the provisions of the Religious, Successory and Charitable Trusts Act, the salient points stressed and guaranteed by this action were that “the hall shall be used for public, educational, charitable and recreation purposes, subject to the provisions and management of the trust, thereby keeping it in the hands of the Noble Park Community for future generations.

In 1924, the trustees borrowed $4400 from the local council, the Shire of Dandenong, to erect a new brick hall. The title of the land was handed over to the council as security for repayment of the loan. The present Noble Park Public Hall was erected in 1925 and is a testament to the craftsmanship of the local builders, Wanke and Brown. Regular repayments occurred until the Great Depression that led into World War 2 and when revenue almost dried up the council took over running the hall for the next three decades.

In 1957 a packed meeting of residents was held in the hall and the legal position was clearly explained so that there was no doubt where the title belonged, and who should control the future of the hall. The debt was cleared with the Shire Council in October 1957 and five new trustees were elected, Mr Tom Copas, Mr G Luxford, Mr T Kirkpatrick, Cr. E Jenkins and Mr A.J. Paddy O’Donoghue.

During its time under Council control, the hall had become somewhat dilapidated, becoming in desperate need of proper care and renovations. To this end, the trustees set themselves the arduous task of taking care of the halls' as it had been the home of most local organisations at one time or another, with some local groups even having their beginnings stem from meetings that had been held in the hall.

In the late seventies, after many fundraising stalls by the Ladies' Auxilliary, trustees Messrs. John Bush, Paddy O'Donoghue, Bob Bell, Ray Fullerton and Mrs Pat Kampl, called a public meeting of residents interested in developing the complex. The meeting was held on June 24th, 1979, where it was resolved unanimously to establish a hall co-operative. Interested residents were asked to take out shares. It was soon realised that the $30,000 co-operative loan wouldn't be sufficient to fund the building program so the trustees themselves signed a personal guarantee to cover the extra $10,000.

Considerable delays in obtaining building permits caused the project to be held up for approximately eight months, finally in March, 1980, earthworks began. Under the watchful eye of Trustee, John Bush, the foundations were laid in May of that year and work progressed rapidly. Due to Paddy O'Donoghue's sudden death, in his memory upon completion, the trustees decided to name the new hall the "A.J. "Paddy" O'Donoghue Hall, as a tribute to his 47 years tireless devotion to the Noble Park Public Hall.

The Hall suffered a blow several years later when a fire broke out in the upstairs area causing several thousand dollars in damages. This combined with another decade or so of required maintenance eventually saw the lease of the hall and complex pass back to the Council in order to get the much needed work and renovations done.

With everyone moved out of the complex by the end of 2004, demolition of the A J O’Donoghue hall occurred over the holiday period and the building then became a construction site for the next 16 months. The official opening of the Paddy O’Donoghue Centre on May 13th 2006 and was a memorable occasion that was well attended, ensuring that the Public Hall and Complex would continue to be a mainstay of Noble Park for generations to come.

For more images like this visit us at

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Second Showgrounds, Cleeland Street, Dandenong, 1940s

Second Showgrounds, Cleeland Street, Dandenong, 1950s/1960s, 
With the market at the bottom and Clow street running up the right side.

For more images like this visit us at

Dandenong Baths/Pool and Drill Hall, Princes Hwy, Dandenong, undated.

By December 1910, Mrs. Orgill, a public spirited lady interested in the project, had already collected £100 towards the £310 it was estimated it would cost to build the baths.

This stood about where the new playground on Princes Hwy (DandenongPark) stands.

For more images like this visit us at

Monday, April 4, 2016

Dandenong Coffee Palace, 18 George Street, Dandenong.,undated.

Situated opposite Dandenong Railway Station on George Street. Exact year taken not known, Picture of Proprietress Mrs Bowman and an unknown girl/

For more images like this visit us at

Dandenong Hospital, Cleeland Street, Dandenong, around 1942.

Not long after it was completed. (This is the best image presently available to us) In 1939 the decision was made to purchase land on Cleeland street for the purpose of constructing the Dandenong and District Hospital, before this a number of Private hospitals operated in Dandenong including the Murray House Private Hospital located on the corner of Scott and Thomas streets. On the corner of Wilson and Langhorne streets, near St James Anglican Church, Merlin private hospital operated.

For more images like this visit us at

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Renfree Family Homestead, 21 Robinson Street, Dandenong, Picture dated 1967.

William Pryn Renfree was said to be the very first white child born in Dandenong, however this has been debated at times as it's most likely that there were others born in Dandenong but perhaps not actually documented due to varying factors of the times.

The Renfree Family Homestead had a 'return verandah', a typical style at the time that went across the front of the house and continued down one or both sides of the house and a decorative entrance.

For several years William successfully owned and conducted the store that would later be owned and operated by Mr J. Crump. He was a member of the Dandenong Shire Council for many years and at one time was even Shire President, he was also a very prominent and valuable member of the Dandenong Methodist Church and was even the Sunday School Superintendent for 27 years.

Renfree was an enthusiastic lawn bowler and was a leading member of the Dandenong and Caulfied clubs, even distinguishing himself in the Sydney Lawn Bowls circles. In late 1910 Mr & Mrs W.P. Renfree prepared to leave Dandenong to live elsewhere. William died in 1927 at the age of 75 years and was survived by his widow Adelaide Anne Renfree (nee Cadle), son William Lindsey Renfree and daughter Adelaide Frances Moore (nee Renfree)

For more images like this visit us at